Thursday, August 28, 2008

A New Chocolate Chip Cookie


In my quest for perfect cookies I have been trying a LOT of different recipes. I am thinking I should have picked a name about baking instead. Anyhoo, here is a very, very good recipe. It remains chewy and soft and yet has a crunch. I use large industrial bake sheets that are aluminum and I was worried they would stick so I lightly sprayed my pans. Don't do it as I felt him made them to slick (ugh). The butter should keep them from sticking. I again went to trusty recipezarr.com and then modified one that I liked.



Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips (I used 60% cocoa disks)
1 cup walnuts, chopped (or pecans)

Directions

In a large bowl, cream together butter and shortening; gradually mix in sugars, creaming thoroughly.

Beat in eggs and vanilla.

Combine flour, baking soda and salt; blend into creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Chill for a few minutes or let stand at cool room temperature for 30 minutes.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets.

Flatten slightly and smooth edges to make 1/2-inch thick cookie.

Bake in a 375°F oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and still slightly under-baked in the centre. Let stand on baking sheet for 5 minutes; remove to racks to let cool completely. They do spread slightly just so you know

I am in a quandary regarding using shortening, It isn't really a great choice and I know that Crisco makes a non hydro one but I am unable to find it. I bought shortening to make soap with (i use it as a base). and had some left over so you could just use butter if you prefer but in this recipe I didn't try it - it will probably make it softer. I know there is a fat over whether it is "natural" or not so this week I am using it, next week I will most likely think it is poison as that how I work. :)

No comments: