Sunday, August 24, 2008

mini Garfield cakes


I have a brother and when we were kids he LOVED Garfield. I think he had every book there was. If I remember right it was like 30 books back then. Now I have kids and they love Garfield too, they are to small for the books but they love the tv shows, NOT the movies that are live action that is just wrong! :) So as I was making these cakes I was thinking of my brother and remembering how mad he would get as I was not careful with his stuff and often ruined a book or 6 . Thanks for being a great big brother Herbie. I may have to make these for him some time.


This is a simple yellow cake with a buttercream frosting. I used a shaped Wilton pan. They are about the size of a fist.


Yellow Cake (from recipezarr.com with changes made)


Ingredients
2 cups flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter

1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
Directions
Heat oven to 350*.


Add butter, milk and vanilla.
Mix well and add dry ingredients.

Beat on med for 2 minutes.
Add eggs and beat for 30 seconds more.
Bake in greased 13x9 pan for 35 minutes, or until pick comes put clean

For mini pans or cupcakes bake for 20-40 minutes depending on size.

Cool 10 minutes in pan and then remove to let cool completely on a wire rack before decorating.


I used a simple Buttercream for the frosting.


1/2 c butter

1/2 c shortening- I debated over this but pure butter melts to fast

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 lb powdered sugar

2 Tablespoon milk


Cream butter and shortening together

add vanilla

add sugar mixing completely scraping bowl as needed

add milk last

divide into bowls depending on what colors you will need. try and make all the color you will need as it is very, very hard to match up later if you need more.


I get all my bags and tips ready and put the buttercream in the fridge as I have hot hands. You don't have to put it in the fridge but for me it makes it easier to manipulate the frosting.


Hope you like them. I did think about rolling out some fondant so the eyes would be super smooth but decided since it was just for the kids and they love buttercream just to go with lumpier eyes. I also noticed a few spots that needed another star spot so I added them after I took the pictures.

1 comment:

kellycat102938 said...

I LOVE garfield!!!!! It's comforting to see things from my past. You did a great job. I just bought this garfield pan (no instructions) and was wondering if you would share a copy of the directions. I've never really decorated a cake before so I thought I would start off small and realized there was no instructions. I forgot about the part where I have no idea what I am doing. Thanks for your kindness.
K