Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Homemade yogurt

I have been following the person on www.seriouseats.com who is trying to make her own yogurt. (link here http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2008/08/homemade-yogurt-my-second-attempt.html) I have decided the easiest thing to do to make my own is to buy a yogurt maker. My town doesn’t have anywhere that would see this kind of item so I went to my friend the internet and as always I found just what I needed. Euro Cuisine YM100 Automatic Yogurt Maker Machine So needless to say I am excited. Yogurt is a big expense and my daughter loves it every morning. The first thing she says every morning is “ you get my ugert now right mommy” how she hates it when I run out. I don’t mind her love of it s it is a good choice for her breakfast. I am so excited to make my own sour cream and cottage cheese as well. Please let me know any good recipes you have for making your own milk products as I am having a dreadful time finding recipes. I will post recipes after I get my machine. I expect it to take about a week. I never ever get presents so this has been quite the week for me.

2 comments:

tennesue said...

You can make yoghurt cheese from your yoghurt (or concentrate it a bit if it comes out too wet [that happened to me when I made my own yoghurt]). Put the yoghurt inside a coffee filter or a Melitta cone or a paper towel inside a funnel and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Overnight, if it's too stiff, add back in some of the liquid from the bowl it's been sitting in. If it's stiff enough for a cheese spread add your herbs or spices or whatever you want.

luv 2 cook said...

Thanks tenne that sounds really good. I can't wait to try it!