Monday, August 4, 2008

Doggie Treats


I have 2 dogs that are best friends. They love each other very much.Well I should say that I might only have one dog now. The dogs ran off after a rabbit Friday afternoon and we called and hunted for hours. We searched all weekend and then on Sunday my chocolate lab named Star was in her doghouse like she never left. My other dog is a miniature pincer named Chirrpy. She hasn’t come home yet so that makes 3 nights that a 10 lb 8 month old dog has been out on her own! Needless to say, I am extremely worried. The dog catcher said she would be on the lookout and give us a call if they find her. I am bursting with nervous energy as my other dog is so sad without her. Star just lies around the house and last night she cried for her. She is 8 months old as well. We got them 3 days apart after they were weaned. Anyway before I start crying I will move on. I thought it might cheer up Star to have a treat so I decided to make her some doggie biscuits. I used a website that I have enjoyed many times they have a lot of doggie treat options http://www.desertculinary.blogspot.com .

Pumpkin Canine Cookies

2 cups oats

1/2 cup butter

2 cups boiling water

5-6 cups whole wheat flour, divided

1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal

1 cup non fat milk

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 cup mashed pumpkin

Preheat the oven to 350

Lightly coat cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

Mix the oats, pumpkin, and butter in a large bowl.

Carefully pour in the boiling water.

Stir in 2 cups flour and remaining ingredients.


With a wooden spoon, mix until it forms into a big ball, adding flour as needed to make stiff dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface, adding flour as needed, until the dough taken on a roll able consistency. In total I used about 5 cups flour.Roll out the dough to 3/8 inch thickness. Cut out cookie shapes using your favorite cutters. Place them on the cookie sheets and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown. Cool completely.

The only thing I did different is I used my mixer for the dough, instead of by hand. I also only baked them for 15 minutes as they were completely done in that time. I also used my silicone pan covers instead of spray oil.
I did taste it to see what the general taste is and it tastes like a non sweet cookie. I always taste what I make for the kids or the dogs as I assume if it tastes bad to me it will taste bad to them however I will not taste beef or chicken as that would be truly repulsive. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Chirpie come home???

Joe said...

I hope your pup comes home! Glad you gave the cookies a try.

luv 2 cook said...

Well she has been gone one week and we are avg 100+ heat everyday. I am hoping that someone took her home and is loving her very much. Little man is sure she is coming back but I am easing him into the idea that she may not. :(

Thanks for asking.